Hi

I admire what you are undertaking, which is a mammoth task.  I worked at the
University of Southern Mississippi (Hattiesburg), The Mississippi Department
of Archives & History (Jackson) & Tougaloo College (a famous African
American College that housed and was involved with the Freedom Riders in the
1960's). I was working on the audio collections if the Civil Rights Era in
MS.

I have also done other work at other Colleges & Libraries in MS.  Even
though I did not hear recordings of the 1930's, and I understand that
slavery was abolished in 1865, after the Civil War, I did hear audio
interviews of people who had had slaves, and some who 'claimed' they didn't
have a slave but they had "blacks' who drove them around, did their
cleaning, cooking, etc.

I heard stories from people whose mother's & father's had been slaves, along
with the family, living on the plantations.  To me, it may well have been
abolished but it was still going strong.

The Civil Rights Movement has done a lot to change racism but, I felt it was
still there in a covert way.  You only have to hear the words like them and
us to realize.

On a final note, at the last ARSC conference I played some audio from a
black soldier who had risked his life for his fellow Americans in WWII.
When he came home he got on the bus with his Aunt and sat in the middle of
the bus.  He was told - Niggers sit in the back of the bus.  I found it very
disturbing.

If you would like to email me off the list, please feel free to do so.  I
have some useful contacts you could get in touch with.

Cheers
Marie

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist/Audio Engineer/Sound Consultant
3017 Nebraska Avenue
Santa Monica, CA, 90404
Ph: 310-453-1615
Fax: 310-453-1715