ISO 15511 (ISIL) accommodates country and non-country based
identifiers. Each country has or will have a national authority that
assigns identifiers within its borders, and this authority is
required to register with the Danish National Library (DNL), the
official registration authority for ISIL. Non-country identifiers can
be assigned by organizations that work with repositories
internationally, though the prefix used to identify such identifiers
must be registered with the DNL.

ocl as a non-country prefix is given as an example for OCLC
(http://www.bs.dk/isil/structure.htm), though I did hear last fall
that OCLC had not yet formally registered "ocl" with the DNL.

Daniel

At 08:53 AM 4/10/2007, Mary Lacy wrote:
>Michele,
>    Here's what the RLG Best Practice Guidelines recommend for mainagency
>code:
>
>Use a repository code supplied by the Library of Congress, the
>National Library of Canada (MARC Code List for Organizations), the
>Historical Manuscripts Commission in the United Kingdom
>(ARCHON), other code assigned by OCLC, by RLG, or by a national
>authority. The code should be formulated according to ISO 15511. If
>no appropriate national authority exists, a unique identifier of the host
>system must be developed using ISO 15511.
>
>I don't know if the listed order is an order of preference, but it's
>suggestive that the MARC code list comes first.
>
>Hope this helps,
>Mary
>

>On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, Michele Combs wrote:
>
> > Hello all *
> >
> > Would like to survey the Collective Wisdom on the maingencycode
> attribute of the EADID element.  Are most people using the OCLC
> code for this or the MARC-21 code?  For example for us the OCLC
> code is SYB but the MARC code is NSyU.  Just wondered whether
> there's a good reason to go one way or the other.  Obviously to get
> records into OCLC we would have to use the OCLC code, but I'm
> wondering if there are any other pros or cons to using one or the other.
> >
> > Thanks *
> >
> > Michele
> >

> > -=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
> > Michele R. Combs
> > Manuscripts Processor
> > Special Collections Research Center
> > Syracuse University Library
> > 222 Waverly Avenue
> > Syracuse, NY 13244
> > (315) 443-2697
> > -=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
> >

>Mary Lacy
>Manuscript Division, Library of Congress
>(202)707-8799 fax (202)707-6336

Daniel V. Pitti, Associate Director
Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
319 Alderman Library
P.O. Box 400115
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4115