Interesting...especially given our current discussion of archives and

>> archiving! I wonder how they arrived at "46 linear feet"...I presume it
>> took 46 feet of shelf space.

That's corrrect, we measured it by the size of the storage boxes the
materials have been rehoused in.

>> I've never measured the space (most of my
>> discographic works are not actuallly "shelved" in a library sense of
>> that term...)?
>>
>> Also noted that a large part of their holdings are "typed lists of..."
>> and I wonder if these were typed by their staff...or typed by collectors
>> whose "estates" they managed to obtain. Note that there exist a large
>> number of individually-copied discographic lists or other informational
>> works which are best described as "privately published"...which means
>> "a few copies were mimeographed or otherwise copied, and made available
>> to a limited number of interested collectors, often "promoted" only via
>> "word of mouth!" I have a very few of these, and suspect that many more
>> exist...

The discographical work was done by members of and donors to the John
Edwards Memorial Foundation.The JEMF was incorporated in 1962 as a
non-profit organization to promote the study and dissemination of
knowledge about American vernacular music of the 1920s-1940s.

For more info on the JEMF:

http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/inv/j/John_Edwards_Memorial_Foundation

Best,

Steve Weiss