D P Ingram wrote:
> On 5 maj 2007, at 05.33, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
>> is effectively part of Milwaukee...), leaving only the problem of
>> the new anti-terrorist policies of the US, and a change in the
>>

> I know the list isn't the place for this, and maybe the A part of the
> ARSC justifies it being in America, but I am aware of quite a few
> Europeans who have resolutely refused to go to the U.S. for business or
> pleasure due to the knee jerk security reactions that have developed in
> the land in the past few years.   Mind you, I understand that it can
> often be quite horrible for Americans "returning home" as well when they
> experience the kind, generous welcome of the Border Guards.  Even before
> September 11, the idiocy that was greeting visitors was quite unwelcome.
>
> I can recommend a visit to Finland :) Come and visit the real home of
> Father Christmas and hold the next ARSC away day.

I cross the border every two or three weeks (Canada/US, usually in the Niagara
area but sometimes at Thousand Islands) with nary a problem. I carry a valid
passport, I leave my attitude at home, I carry documentation or receipts for
anything I'm bringing over, I take off my sunglasses when being questioned by
the Customs officials. Granted, I haven't flown into the States in a few years.
The only odd interrogation I'll receive in fact comes from Canadian officials,
usually at the Thousand Islands entrance, where they'll ask if I'm importing
liquor, tobacco, firearms, ammo or pepper spray (I kid you not). Records? What
are those? (One time I had over a thousand 78s in the car and proof that they'd
cost me next to nothing, and the guard insisted on knowing "What is the most
expensive record you bought?" I got sent over for inspection and the supervisor
looked and said "Oh, yeah..him. Have a nice day.")

dl