The U.S. is not alone. I continually have difficulties entering Canada from
the U.S. (I am a U.S. citizen). While serving gratis as a member of the
Technical Advisory Committee of the Canadian General Standards Board, I had
my passport confiscated for two hours in Ottawa, and was interrogated,
including "Why cannot a Canadian citizen do your job?" I followed up with a
letter of protest to the appropriate Canadian minister. Instead of an
apology, I was put on a list of troublemakers and am always shunted to a
long line of immigrants who are awaiting questioning, delaying my trip by an
hour or two.

Jerry Hartke
President
Media Sciences, Inc.