On 26 maj 2007, at 18.43, David Lennick wrote:
> Actually "milk crates", made of sturdy plastic and used by the milk
> company to ship large (what used to be gallon) jugs of milk to the
> grocer. Each one holds 4 of the large jugs. Until some time in the
> 70s these crates were large enough to hold 12" albums with ease,
> but the dairy industry conspired once it knew what record
> collectors were doing with their cases (stealing them from behind
> Macs Milk Stores) and foisted "metric" on us, so those crates
> shrank by about a half inch. And no, they don't have photos of
> missing record collectors on the sides.

Thank you (everyone) for the entertaining and illuminating response.
When I was younger the milk bottles came in a crate but they had bits
in between so making storage harder !

And in Finland we have these Tetra-Pak (R) cartons. Milk bottles were
a very, very, very long distant memory for many.

Darren

---
Darren Ingram (darren at ingram.fi / www.ingram.fi)
Provider of many things including research, media, innovation and
consultancy services.

"Insert pointless, humo(u)rless quotation and ASCII art here"
"Insert lengthy, boring and meaningless corporate and copyright
disclaimer here"