Hmm...

This might be a little too late, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Flickr
for photosharing.  (Or did someone and I just missed it?)  You don't need an
account to view photos, and they have a nice built-in slide show feature.
(Newly updated even!)  Adding descriptions on Flickr is VERY easy.  I've
been using it for years. Well, as many years as it's been around...  :)

FYI - I can't seem to view the slideshow either without an AOL account.

Laura