In a message dated 5/11/07 5:48:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> To support a response to an article in a sort of e-zine, I have reposted at
>   http://www.operas-are.us/
> a page of my WWW site of some years ago. In 1966, the great dramatic
> soprano Birgit Nilsson recorded a portion of an aria on an Edison
> cylinder machine of about 1895;

It's a bit later than that.  It's an ordinary Edison two-minute Home (ca.
1903? I don't know much about machines) with a four-minute attachment.  It takes
a model "C" reproducer for two-minute cylinders and an "H" (I think) for
four-minute cylindners.

Paul Charosh

 See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.