----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Olhsson" <[log in to unmask]>
====
> I tried very hard to give my daughter the kinds of musical experiences that
> led me to choose a career in music. They turned out to be virtually
> unavailable in the San Francisco area during late 1980s and it's even worse
> today.
>
> A musical performance can be a life changing experience but no mere
> recording has ever done that for me. Kids just assume that music is just a
> fashion statement because that's all they've ever experienced. The only
> thing that can "fix" the music business is a resurgence of truly great live
> music that kids will encounter and can afford to go out and hear more of.

First...keep in mind that "the kinds of musical experiences..." was in
accordance with YOUR evaluation/opinion...which may or may not have
coincided with hers (particularly in her "teen years," when a sort of
"pack taste" arises through typical teen conformity...!). This condition
applies as well to your citation of "a resurgence of truly great live
music...!"

Young people (yes, and even me way back when I was young...!) listen to
what "the crowd" is listening to (there can be exceptions, but such are
rare...!). Occasionally, they can find something of more value (in a
range of senses) which happens to be part of the "Top Whatever"...in my
case, it was a taste for blues, inspired by a couple of hits by bluesman
Jimmy Reed.

This isn't as scary as it might sound...the reality is that these young
folk often return to "better" music they heard early in their youth (in
my case, it was the 78's that I eventually inherited from my father...!)

Since I have no idea which music genre(s) you consider "great," I can't
comment further...

Steven C. Barr