IMHO the imminent destruction of the music industry is a good thing.  Music--and professional musicians--were around for centuries before there was a music industry.  The role of the professional musician has traditionally been to provide music for occasions where society needed music.

(BTW in Western and Southwest Asian cultures, being a professional musician filled a necessary but low-status role in society.  Amateur musicians--from the upper classes--had higher status because they could play what they wanted.  Professional musicians had to play what the paying customer wanted.)

The music industry grew up when music could be commodified apart from musicians.  Technological innovations in music delivery systems, up through say 1980, have been beneficial for consumers.  They've not necessarily been beneficial to musicians.  And that is primarily because of the business models of the music industry.  The music industry does not exist to promote the welfare of musicians (except for the few like Elvis or Madonna), but to divert control of the means of production to a select few non-musicians.

Technological innovations since 1980 have led to a democratizing of the means of production.  That's bad for the music industry.  Good for consumers.  And potentially good for musicians.  It might take a few years to shake down, but it's coming.

And when we have to shut down a lot of existing industrial and commercial processes in favor of controlling our emissions of carbon dioxide (i.e., global warming), the role of professional musicians in society can be redefined without interference from outmoded capitalistic commodification models.

I think the time is coming when musicians will be valuable members of society again (though not necessarily of high status).  Remember, that musicians gained their largest share of our common wealth during the Great Depression.

Something big is coming down.

Paul "apocalypticus" Tyler

Bob Olhsson <[log in to unmask]> wrote: -----Original Message-----
From Steven C. Barr: "...They, of course, would define their efforts, as
well as current
rap/hip-hop/urban-dance hits, as "music!" I tend to suspect that we
wouldn't...!"

My point is that when one can't possibly earn a living or raise the
financial backing to build a career, it leaves us with a talent pool
composed mostly of well-heeled posers seeking little more than to make a
fashion statement. Hip-hop was often compelling music before the posers took
over.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com