I'm not sure that <prefercite> is appropriate. The Tag Library
describes <prefercite> as

Information about how users should identify the *described
materials* when referring to them in published credits (my
emphasis).

Might <eadid> be a more appropriate place to record the handle (in
the urn attribute)? Then add the additional text when rendered for
display. Alternatively, it is merely unconventional, not invalid,
to include the display text in the text node of <eadid> (the
content model is #PCDATA).

Terry

<http://www.loc.gov/ead/tglib/elements/prefercite.html><prefercite>