Hello,

It must be something in the air this spring - we were discussing this
issue yesterday, also in the context of how we'd encode books in a
Fedora repository. It seems like the decision could be made
differently for monographs and for serials. The way we're
TEI-encoding these materials now, we have a single TEI file for a
monograph or a journal issue, and for page-image based works, we
divide the work into <div1> chunks representing chapter- or
article-level sections. However, for journals (or anthologies, I
suppose) the articles are really the primary access level, and we'd
certainly want them to be represented as Fedora objects (children of
an Issue-level object). That may or may not be the case for
monographic works, where the Volume tends to be the main object of
interest. And those decisions about the granularity of our Fedora
objects will definitely affect our METS encoding decisions.

One way to accommodate a TEI datastream in a more granular repository
might be to include the TEI <div1>s in the child objects, and define
and invoke them as general entities in the parent TEI, resolving (via
Handles?) to the the child datastreams.

--
Peter C. Gorman