It was decided at the CONSER Operations meeting last week that CONSER
members will not submit CONSER records to the Registry of Digital Masters
for serials using the single record approach for a period of one year.
During that time, only the separate record aggregator neutral approach will
be used for digital registry records. This will allow CONSER time to gather
data on the potential impact on subscribers of the CONSER file of
additional elements required for the RDM on the print record.

We did not discuss the issue of whether a series which applies only to the
electronic version record can be added to the print version record when
using the single record approach, since CONSER will not be using the single
record approach for digital registry records (at least for one year). There
did not seem to be objection from monographic catalogers to adding such a
series to the print version record so I think we could now add an 8XX which
applies only to the electronic version to the monograph single record
digital registry examples if others agree.

If we do that, we probably should discuss whether we need some mechanism
for indicating that this series applies only to the electronic version.
Some suggestions that were made on the CONSER and PCC lists are:

*Define subfield 5 for 8XX (similar to what has been done for 533 and 538).
*Use subfield 8 in 8XX and other digital registry fields to link the fields
together and indicate that they relate to the reproduction.
*Define a new subfield in 533 for authorized form of series.
*Define an indicator value for all RDM fields as an aid to deleting them
from records in the local catalog.
*Define a new field link type for subfield 8 that says the fields are
related to a reproduction AND reside on a non-reproduction record.
*Define a new subfield in 8XX for the version to which the field applies.

Does anybody have thoughts on whether we should now allow a series that
applies only to the electronic version on the print version record when
using the single record approach for monographs in the digital registry? If
so, should we come up with a mechanism to indicate that this series applies
only to the electronic version? If so, what should that mechanism be?

Remember that the digital registry record IS the WorldCat record, so even
though your institution may not be contributing records to the Registry of
Digital Masters, you may be using records that others have contributed.

Thanks,

Renette