From: SRU (Search and Retrieve Via URL) Implementors [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of LeVan,Ralph

>Why bother?

Two reasons to bother.

The premise is that there is some schema which can be used to retrieve a
record and alternatively to retrieve record metadata.   I don't even know if
this premise is valid and if it's not then Rob's question is a moot. But as
I understand it you can use MarcXML for both.

One. Let's say you want to present the actual record, and then after that
you want to present the metadata, both with MarcXML (forget the extension
for now, you want to retrieve these in the classic manner). Then you'd need
a way to distinguish, and I'm suggesting that assigning two identifiers is a
clear and painless way.

Two. If you list marcXML in explain as a supported record schema, but you
only support one of these, similarly you need a way to distinguish, and
similarly, assigning distinct identifiers is a clear and painess way.

--Ray