Don Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Fortunately in Britain we had the late John Peel to broaden everyone's
tastes.

And there is still a big variety of music played on the BBC, although
Peel is irreplaceable.

Agreed.Even though I didn't get a chance to hear Peel until years later.Those of us Stateide,who wanted to learn about this stuff,had to read a plethora of 'zines,and hang around the hipper records stores,with fellow geeks and weirdos,and listen to the stuff,that Peel and others were playing on the radio.

>>  The selection at
>> Target, Wal-Mart, and the like, remind me of that
>> little rack of
>> cassette tapes they have at every mega truck stop.
>> "Tammy Wynette and
>> "old possum face's" greatest duets" and the complete
>> works of ZZ Top.

Hey,I LIKE George Jones.I like African Highlife music too...

>  But then
> I forgot - I LOVE the wonderful "dime store" dance
> band music sold in the day's Wal-mart equivelents back
> in the late 1920s and early 1930s. So there is nothing
> inherently bad about mass market tastes, per se.

When I was a little kid,up until about the age of eight,5 and 10s, especially Woolworth's used to have 9 cent 45 bins,that were filled with obscure,unknown,and forgotten stuff.This was how,I was exposed to all of the obscure stuff from the 50s and 60s,I still love to this day.Even a little kid ,who only had a buck or two,even less,could afford to go through these bins,and find some mysterious treasures.

>SIGH<

                                  Roger

Regards
--