Michelle,
It's taken me a few days to get back to this. We're not entirely "live"
yet, but we have recently moved our finding aids into a Fedora system.
When it's all working the right away, someone searching our "Digital
Collections" will pull up digital images, texts, and finding aids in
their searching.  I don't know how well it's going to work yet, but it
is promising.

We have our own descriptive and administrative metadata scheme that
we've mapped to our finding aids.  It's my understanding that when users
are searching through the digital collections site, they will not be
searching the entire finding aid, but rather, selected fields, like
unititle, author, abstract, and the controlaccess information. I have
already noted some "problems" - man made - involving how we describe
materials and how we find them in a computer environment.  For example,
omitting the word "Mexico" from the abstract or subject headings in a
collection that I know has a lot of information about Mexico....

If you want to know more about the technical aspects of how all this
comes together, let me know - I can put you in touch with our tekkie
people and our metadata librarian.

Jennie
***
Jennie A. Levine