David and All:

There is a long-accepted (and not changed in age of technology) ratio
used in law libraries that there should be a ratio of one professional
librarian to every 21 other professionals in the organization.
Interestingly,  I believe that the IT community adopted this same
standard about 12 years ago.

I think the only current standards that might be worth checking relate
to accreditation standards for various professional academic degree
programs.  In law there are two,  American Bar Association and
Association of American Law Schools.  I am rather sure there are similar
accreditors for business, engineering, medical schools  (and hospital
libraries!!=JCAHO??)etc...

Hope this will give you some guidance and some authority upon which to
draw.

Roberta

Roberta I. Shaffer, Executive Director
FLICC/FEDLINK
Adams Building Room 217
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave. S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20540-4935

Tel:  202-707-4801
Fax: 202-707-4828
www.loc.gov/flicc/

"Celebrating 40 Years of Excellence Serving and Guiding Federal
Libraries"

>>> "Ferguson, David" <[log in to unmask]> 06/14/07 10:53 AM >>>

Hello, I am searching for any information on Federal Library Standards
or Guidelines for Federal Government Libraries.  Specifically, I*m
looking for guidance on library staffing levels, budget, etc. for
government agencies as it relates to the number of employees.  Is there
any literature on this? Thanks for you help, David FergusonLibrary
TechnicianInformation Resource CenterPeace Corps1111 20th Street,
NWWashington, DC 20526202-692-2645202-692-2641 -