David and All:

There is a long-accepted (and not changed in age of technology) ratio used in law libraries that there should be a ratio of one professional librarian to every 21 other professionals in the organization.  Interestingly,  I believe that the IT community adopted this same standard about 12 years ago.

I think the only current standards that might be worth checking relate to accreditation standards for various professional academic degree programs.  In law there are two,  American Bar Association and Association of American Law Schools.  I am rather sure there are similar accreditors for business, engineering, medical schools  (and hospital libraries!!=JCAHO??)etc...
Hope this will give you some guidance and some authority upon which to draw.

Roberta

Roberta I. Shaffer, Executive Director
FLICC/FEDLINK
Adams Building Room 217
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave. S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20540-4935

Tel:  202-707-4801
Fax: 202-707-4828
www.loc.gov/flicc/

"Celebrating 40 Years of Excellence Serving and Guiding Federal Libraries"

>>> "Ferguson, David" <[log in to unmask]> 06/14/07 10:53 AM >>>

Hello,

I am searching for any information on Federal Library Standards or Guidelines for Federal Government Libraries.  Specifically, Iím looking for guidance on library staffing levels, budget, etc. for government agencies as it relates to the number of employees.  Is there any literature on this?

Thanks for you help,

David Ferguson

Library Technician

Information Resource Center