Hi Tom,

I assume the reference to "Jack" is a reference to Jack Towers.
He will tell you he got the oxide scraping technique from discussions
with the late John RT Davies. I have worked with some of John's tapes,
and I can report his scraping was VERY carefully done.  I have also worked
with some of Jack's tapes, and I have to say Jack usually took off too much
oxide, producing an obvious dropout; I had to fix lots of these, using
crossfades, or by careful deletion of part of the audible silence.

doug pomeroy

http://liveearth.msn.com