I once inserted a drum passage (a second or so) where it had been omitted
between sides. This occurred in William Steinberg's Musicraft recording of the
Shostakovich Seventh..fortunately the quality of the recording and pressings
allowed for this kind of edit, with minimal change in EQ. Incidentally, the
same snare drum passage is missing in the LP issue on Allegro, which was
supposedly (in part) from different takes.

I also had to insert a few bars in a Chopin Sonata where Guiomar Novaes had
inadvertently forgotten to play them..again, between 78 sides. This was on a
Music and Arts issue. I don't think anyone has yet identified the pitch-hitter.

dl