I'm not arguing for bad digital sound -- I don't know who would.

I am saying that a top-line converter like the Benchmark is a real stretch for some funding-limited
organizations and I'd much rather see limited budgets spent on excellent quality -- and the
maintenance thereof -- ANALOG gear so you don't need a "by the light of the virgin moon" kind of
digital chain but rather the very good and relatively inexpensive stuff that is out there if not
plentiful. There are probably some who have more faith in digital processing than I do -- I say make
it sound good before it goes into the box. So under this philosophy, one wouldn't even try extreme
digital processing since you can't put lipstick on a pig and most people I know find digital
artifacts super-annoying compared to minor analog imperfections.

I still think the CardDeluxe is the best DAC device for under $1000 but some are very insistent on
keeping all the audio circuitry outside of a PC/Mac box, for understandable reasons. There are a
variety of external devices of excellent quality out there for well sound of the Benchmark's prices,
although if your budget is rich and your tastes are toward the excellent only, that equipment has a
sterling reputation. I can't recommend a specific external box because I don't have any. I will note
that some of these devices seem to devote a lot of the development and marketing budget to mic
preamps and/or built-in analog stuff like tube "warmers" or compressors of various flavors which may
or may not be desired in a transfer chain.

Even more important that what digi-toy you happen to have is your practices -- are you presenting
undistorted, in-azimuth audio to the analog-to-digital converter? Is polarity and phase constant in
your chain? Did you chase down and eliminate grounding and hum issues? For that matter, have you
scientifically measured your equipment and do you have the equipment to measure it and keep it
running to spec? If you're doing disks, have you cleaned them properly and played them with the
proper stylus? Is your tape machine aligned to the proper standard? Do you keep the tape heads
cleaned and degaussed (sp?)? Are you converting at 96/24 and leaving plenty of headroom so your
processing won't present digital clipping? Do you have a proper storage and backup system? To my
thinking, all of this is much more important than what brand of DAC you use as long as you find
something in your budget that can produce digital copies that come out sounding like what was fed
into the digital system, minus whatever digital processing you choose to do (and I would choose to
be as conservative as possible with that).

Just to be clear one more time, I'm not advocating a bad-sounding anything -- EVER!

-- Tom Fine