I am no help when it comes to style.  In my opinion quotes only make sense in the context of a narrative.

More importantly . . .  who, what, where and when were these fiddlers recorded!

Paul

Trey Bunn <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Here's an odd one for you.

I've completed a finding aid at the archives where I work, and it
references 24 reel tapes of field recordings of fiddler players.  For
each tape, I've done a track listing, a small excerpt of which looks
like this:

1. Little Lucy
2. Gathering Flowers from the Hillside
3. Allgood Special

...and so on.  However, my supervisor wants me to redo the track
listings with quotation marks around the song titles.  I can't recall
ever seeing a track listing done with quotation marks, and this just
seems wrong.

1. "Little Lucy"
2. "Gathering Flowers from the Hillside"
3. "Allgood Special"

I don't have my Little Brown Handbook handy, but I've usually got very
good grammar instincts, and that list just looks wrong to me.  I know
some of you have worked on discographies before, so I thought I'd
check for some opinions on the listserv.  Of course, it could just be
company policy where I work to do finding aids like this, that is,
with awkward-looking quotation marks on song titles, but it might have
been helpful had I been told that thirteen pages ago.

Anyway, any thoughts?

Trey Bunn