Michele, at Wisconsin the related element is currently used only as
text. If you were to create a link, it's best to use a handle if
that's feasible. As such the handle/url will be stable and can be
managed external to the data. So if you have a stable id for the
target item, you can create a handle that points to a generic
placeholder doesn't-yet-exist page, then update the handle when the
item is live.

The downside of this is having a link which is, for a time, somewhat
frustrating to the user. And, of course, the handles have to be
maintained, but that's relatively easy.

-Brian

On July 18, at 8:55 AM, Michele Combs wrote:

> I'm curious about implementations of the EAD <relatedmaterial> element
> (cross-posted to both EAD and Archives and Archivists listservs):
>
> 1) If you are routinely using this to point users to related
> collections, are you making these items links or plain text?
>
> 2) If you are making them links (extrefs), are you a) inserting the
> link at the time of tagging, even if the target related finding aid is
> not yet done, or b) leaving it plain text and going back later to
> insert
> the link when the target related finding aid is done?
>
> 2a) If the former, for related finding aids that are not yet in EAD
> are
> you linking to a temporary target (for example to a placeholder "This
> finding aid is not yet electronic" message) or are you putting in the
> correct href for the future finding aid (thus creating a temporarily
> dead link)?
>
> 2b) If the latter, how are you tracking them so you know to go back
> later and insert the link?
>
> Thanks -
>
> Michele C.
>

> -=|=--=|=---=|=---=|=---=|=---=|=---=|=---=|=--
> Michele R. Combs
> Librarian for Manuscripts and Archives Processing
> Special Collections Research Center
> Syracuse University Library
> 222 Waverly Avenue
> Syracuse, NY 13244
> (315) 443-9758

Brian Sheppard
University of Wisconsin Digital Collections Center
[log in to unmask]    (608) 262-3349