As Michael says, using the browser does mean the transformation takes
place on the client-side, which is why some people choose not to go that
route.  My Nov 06 post is just plain wrong in what I said about saxon,
though (ah, I hate it when old posts come back to haunt me LOL!!).
Saxon of course produces not just HTML but whatever output your XSL
style sheet tells it to, be it html, marc, pdf, rtf, etc etc etc.  And
with the right setup and coding, you could use saxon to produce HTML on
the fly as well, rather than static files of whatever type.  If you did
it that way, the on-the-fly transformation could occur on the server
side and then the HTML be pushed out to the client, removing any
reliance on the client machine's capabilities.  And saxon's free too!

Michele C.

-=|=--=|=---=|=---=|=---=|=---=|=---=|=---=|=--
Michele R. Combs
Librarian for Manuscripts and Archives Processing
Special Collections Research Center
Syracuse University Library
222 Waverly Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13244
(315) 443-9758

>>> [log in to unmask] 7/27/2007 8:40 AM >>>
Doesn't the answer depend on where you want the "on-the-fly"
transformation to occur- on the desktop or on the server?

Michael