Doesn't the answer depend on where you want the "on-the-fly" transformation to occur- on the desktop or on the server?

Michael

________________________________

From: Encoded Archival Description List on behalf of Michele Rothenberger
Sent: Fri 11/3/2006 9:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: HTML output

Yes, Saxon's a great choice -- we use it -- though I wouldn't call it
"on the fly" transformations since it produces actual HTML files.

For true "on-the-fly" transformations your best bet might be something
you already have: your web browser.  Internet Explorer and  Firefox can
both perform XML to HTML transformations.  Be sure that your file has
the xsl style sheet called out properly at the top and just open it in
IE or Firefox.

Michele

-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Michele R. Combs
Manuscripts Processor
Special Collections Research Center
Syracuse University Library
222 Waverly Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13244
(315) 443-2697
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/3/2006 9:30 AM >>>
You could try Saxon:
        http://saxon.sourceforge.net/
There is a free version. There is also a commercial version that
supports XML schemas.
---LwM---

> Hello,
>
> XMLSpy has this option to transform XML to HTML on the fly.  However,
my
> trial run of this software recently expired, and the cost of
purchasing
> the software is prohibitively expensive, especially since the only
thing
> I really use it for is this one task.  Does anyone know of any
freeware
> that transforms XML to HTML?  (Besides Archon: my request to install
> that seems to have fallen into the black hole that is our IT
> department.)  Or, ideally, is there a way that I can configure my
> stylesheet to transform XML to HTML?
>
> Just to clarify things if I'm not describing the situation correctly,
> want the end result to be a document that is solely html code.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jordon
>
> Jordon Steele
> Archivist
> Biddle Law Library
> University of Pennsylvania Law School
> (215) 898-5011

Lawrence Mielniczuk
Logic School
Bodleian Library
Oxford OX1 3BG
Tel: (01865) 287174
Mobile: 0781 647 9176

No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, a
goodly number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.