Without rereading the EAD documentation (and with a failing memory), I
would say that era and calendar apply to the content of the unitate
tag and not the normalised form. @normal, after all, defaults to ISO
8601.

All three attributes refine the content of the unitdate element, so I
would go with:

<unitdate normal="17990510" era="French_Republican"
calendar="French_Republican">21 Floréal an VII</unitdate>

Particularly if f "French_Republican" is indeed a standard syntax for
describing this dating scheme.

@normal I know how to process, @s era and calendar give me additional
information I might need to do something useful with the content of
the element, but having the availability to define at the
_per_element_ level what @normal means, though, I agree would be
extremely useful.

@normal, @normaltype {as an enumerated list} ??

St.

Stephen Yearl
Systems Archivist
Yale University Library::Manuscripts and Archives