-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata
education & training [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Rinne, Nathan
(ESC)
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 11:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Martha Yee's comments on LIS education (fwd)

Danielle said:

"I think we all agree that we need more investments in cataloging and
metadata creation, not fewer, although those investments *will not and
cannot be targeted at traditional cataloging, the way we've 'always'
done it.* Yee and others would be much better equipped to argue against
outsourcing and eliminating cataloging practices if they recognized that
essential truth... I'm a medievalist by training..." (end)

Danielle, I think the way we've done it in the past 100 years is in
several ways the best way (not in all, to be sure), albeit the tradition
is not long as you say.  I just posted the following on AUTOCAT: