I think for 2006-084, this affects [grc] Ancient Greek, but does not really affect [ell/gre], unless you want to do something other than use the precise date, 1453, associated with the end of Byzantine Empire. The naming for the new code element can be adjusted according to whatever decisions are made for the trio.

I considered this request a long time before I decided to let it go through as is, though it certainly implies a narrowing of meaning for Ancient Greek. I doubted the retirement of [grc] would please anyone, and I do not think "historical macrolanguages" are an appropriate solution. It is one of the few requests that elicited any comment at all, and that was supportive (with the preferred name Medieval Greek). I decided this is a question for the JAC, not just for me. It was among the group of requests that I pointed out would be of interest to the JAC at the beginning of the review period. This certainly requires more discussion.

With regard to Katso and Kaduo, CR 2006-127, the requester addressed this matter in the change request documentation to my and the Ethnologue staff's satisfaction. We exchanged a number of emails about this. We determined it made more sense to propose the new code element rather than split Kaduo, due to the considerable confusion over location and population data reported in the past for Kaduo, and erroneously making a closer association between the two that was warranted (Kaduo is spoken in China, as well as Laos, but Kaduo and Katso and spoken in different locations in Yunnan Province, and are not closely related).

-Joan

Milicent K Wewerka <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: First round of changes for ISO 639-3 review period over

I have two comments on the changes to ISO639-3 as proposed in your document.

Request 2006-084 for a new code element for Medieval Greek (gkm):  Adopting this addition will make it necessary to revised the captions for identifiers grc and ell/gre.  Those identifiers are part of ISO 639-2.

Request 2006-127 for a new code element for Katso (kaf):  This may be the same language as Kaduo (ktp).

Milicent Wewerka, Library of Congress

>>> Joan Spanne <[log in to unmask]> 07/09/07 5:54 PM >>>
Hello All,

The first round of change requests for ISO 639-3 underwent review from
April 1 - June 30. As expected, not many received any comments, though the
Valencian request received 43 comments alone (5 other change requests
received one comment each), about 1/4 opposed and 4/5 in favor (including
a form letter sent in by 9 people).

I am attaching a document that is my report on the changes, with summaries
and recommendations. Three code elements affected are in both Part 2 and
Part 3. The changes to these are summarized first in the report. The rest
of the report contains summaries of all other changes (those affecting
only Part 3).

Obviously action on the three code elements in both parts will require
agreement of the JAC. In addition, though, I would appreciate a review of
the other proposed changes, as it is just possible that one or more of
them might have some effect on Part 2 that I had not foreseen.

To see the actual change request documentation, use this pattern for the
link:

http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/chg_detail.asp?id=2006-129
where the parameter at the end is the change request number.

In order to minimize delay in posting the results of the requests (at
least for those only pertaining to part 3), I would appreciate a response
by July 18th, if possible. Debate on the Valencian - Catalan matter may
take longer, of course. For more on that matter, please see my message
dated 13 Apr 2007.

Thanks,

Joan Spanne
ISO 639-3/RA