Perhaps we should have a mechanism to include a ISO 3166 part 2 code after
the language code, as we do with country codes (i.e. country
subdivision). That could help make the distinction. Of course people will
still disagree with using a code based on a different form of the language
name than the one they are saying is a distinct language.

I agree with Peter that it's not very convincing. I received a huge box of
material that was supposed to prove that Valencian should be established
as a separate language, but in it was a document (maybe the same one that
Peter refers to from the l'Acadhmia Valenciana de la Llengua) that clearly
said Valencian is the same language as Catalan but spoken in Valencia. And
the many emails and letters I've gotten about it have been people from
only a few organizations. They clearly are lobbying. It reminds me of the
Croatians lobbying to change the language code for 639-2/B.

Rebecca