The formalized mapping of retired code to new codes into which it is split will persist, and is formalized in the retired code elements mappings download file. IT systems should be able to make use of this mapping without confusing the use of the macrolanguage to reflect a real world reality (whether ethnic, governmental or other) that groups the languages as a single unit.

-Joan

Peter Constable <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: First round of changes for ISO 639-3 review period over

Wrt changing a split & retired item to be a macrolanguage, the issue isn’t necessarily just about whether the item, e.g. “Southern Zhuang”, would be a good choice for a macrolanguage entry. There’s also the fact that *the item exists* in the code set, it’s denotation includes multiple individual languages, it itself was deemed in some contexts (all past usage) to be an individual language, and IT systems may need the formalized relationship of the macrolanguage mapping to match requests for “Southern Zhuang” with records in “Dai Zhuang” (or vice versa).

In the particular case of Southern Zhuang, it may be sufficient to include the new items into the “Zhuang” macrolanguage. In the general case, though, I’m inclined to think we ought to give a bit more thought to how such splits should be handled in this particular regard.

Peter