From: Iyaaz J Naseem [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:50 AM
To: Håvard Hjulstad
Subject: Re: ISO 639 encoding proposal: Mahl

Dear Sir,

I am a native speaker of Mahl. I agree that Mahl is very simillar to Divehi. But one thing to be considered is the standard Divehi and the standard Mahl are different. The standard written and spoken Divehi is the dialect spoken in Male', Maldives. Other dialects used else where in the Maldives are only spoken but not written. The standard written and spoken Mahl is the dialect spoken in Minicoy, India. And the native speakers of both the standards find difficult to follow the other, due to the differences in vocabulary and grammer.

Since standard Mahl is different from that of Divehi, in Minicoy even in schools Mahl is taught as the standard and since we don't have a seperate ISO 639 code it is very difficult for us to submit our literature in modern facilities such as Wikipedia.

So we request to encode atleast in ISO 639-3. The code requested is: dmh

It can be like this:

ISO 639-1:	 dv
ISO 639-2:	 div
ISO 639-3:	 variously: