Yep!

The schemas do not permit a string value directly under <extraResponseData> but expects child xml elements so

<extraResponseData>some string stuff</extraResponseData> should not validate against the schemas

However,

<extraResponseData>
  <foo:myExtraStuff>....</foo:myExtraStuff>
</extraResponseData>

Will validate - what you stick under foo:myExtraStuff (string, XML, mixed) is your own affair, and if you allow both string encoding or XML underneath that, how you request that is also your own affair.

Matthew