Subject: ISO 639-1 two-letter codes
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:22:20 -0400
From: DeCamp, Jennifer A. <[log in to unmask]>
To: Lutz, Richard D. <[log in to unmask]>,        Zaideman, Wayne H.
<[log in to unmask]>,        Pet, Mandy S. <[log in to unmask]>, Wallin,
Jay W. <[log in to unmask]>,        <[log in to unmask]>,
Silman, Morton CIV USA INSCOM <[log in to unmask]>,        Nordin,
Glenn Mr CIV OSD OUSDI <[log in to unmask]>,
<[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>

For organizations that have legacy databases that cannot use more than
two characters for language codes, your time has come.  ISO is going to
be reviewing the ISO 639-1 standard on two-letter language codes.  I am
on that committee.  If there are any codes that you need, please let me
know.  I can be reached at the following addresses:

703 347 5137

Please send me a statement of what you are trying to designate with the
language code, and--if you like--a preferred letter combination that is
not already taken.

Try to avoid the ISO 639-1 standard if you can.  It is very uneven in
level, and the meanings of many of the language codes are undefined.
The codes are thus used differently in different situations.

Please feel free to send this email to anyone you think may be
interested.

Thanks.

Jen