Dear JAC members,
During the meeting of ISO/TC 37/SC 2/WG 1 in Provo earlier this month we discussed among many other things the finalization of ISO 639-5. That part will be submitted for FDIS within a few weeks.
ISO 639-5 needs a terms for a "language group minus a specified set of members of that group". This is needed to describe the relationship between, e.g. "Germanic languages" in 639-5 and "other Germanic languages" (or "Germanic languages (other)") in 639-2 (i.e. all Germanic languages that haven't been specifically identified in 639-2). With the completion of ISO 639-3 this becomes an urgent issue. The concept isn't at all complicated, but what is the term?
The current version of 639-5 uses "rest group". At the meeting some people stated a problem with that term. Mike Roberts promised to ask colleagues within the documentation/library environment. His feedback is that "there doesn't seem to be a technical terms for this concept, but we believe that remainder group or residual group are both preferable, perhaps with residual group being nearer to the French".
Personally I don't have any strong feelings toward any of the terms "rest group", "remainder group", or "residual group". Do members of the JAC have opinions?
Best regards,
Håvard Hjulstad
  Standard Norge / Standards Norway
  tel: (+47) 67838600  |  faks / fax: (+47) 67838601
  direkte tel / direct tel: (+47) 67838645
  [log in to unmask]