In the Issues to Resolve doc, I referred to these as "incomplete collections". In an earlier paper, I used "partial collections".

If the term is defined as given below, "group minus a specified set of members", then it's not obvious to me that a qualifier like "remainder" is the best choice. If the definition were something along the lines of "the remainder of an extension corresponding to a given intension after certain members of the extension are excluded", then "remainder" would seem right. "Group with some items removed" sounds like an incomplete or partial group.

Peter

From: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Håvard Hjulstad
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: "rest groups" in ISO 639-5

Dear JAC members,

During the meeting of ISO/TC 37/SC 2/WG 1 in Provo earlier this month we discussed among many other things the finalization of ISO 639-5. That part will be submitted for FDIS within a few weeks.

ISO 639-5 needs a terms for a "language group minus a specified set of members of that group". This is needed to describe the relationship between, e.g. "Germanic languages" in 639-5 and "other Germanic languages" (or "Germanic languages (other)") in 639-2 (i.e. all Germanic languages that haven't been specifically identified in 639-2). With the completion of ISO 639-3 this becomes an urgent issue. The concept isn't at all complicated, but what is the term?

The current version of 639-5 uses "rest group". At the meeting some people stated a problem with that term. Mike Roberts promised to ask colleagues within the documentation/library environment. His feedback is that "there doesn't seem to be a technical terms for this concept, but we believe that remainder group or residual group are both preferable, perhaps with residual group being nearer to the French".

Personally I don't have any strong feelings toward any of the terms "rest group", "remainder group", or "residual group". Do members of the JAC have opinions?

Best regards,
Håvard

Håvard Hjulstad
  Standard Norge / Standards Norway
  tel: (+47) 67838600  |  faks / fax: (+47) 67838601
  direkte tel / direct tel: (+47) 67838645
  http://www.standard.no/