We have revised the draft of the MODS schema version 3.3, which we had
released for review in April. The revision is based on comments from the
review of that draft.

Substantive changes to the previous (April 12) version:
1. Add Xlink attribute to physicalLocation
This would allow for a link to the website of the entity in
physicalLocation. This is equivalent to MARC 21 852$u, e.g.
<physicalLocation xlink:href="http://www.loc.gov">Library of Congress
</physicalLocation>

2. Add additional enumerated values for authority under <language>: ISO
639-3 and RFC4646.
ISO 639-3 is a new standard that codes all individual languages without
the criteria for usage that ISO 639-2 has.
RFC4646 updates RFC3066, which details how to use language codes
in Internet applications. (RFC3066 already defined in MODS). We are
planning to add these to the MARC source code list used for field 041$2.

3. Changes to MODS holdings to be generally consistent with the ISO XML
holdings standard, now out for ballot as a Draft International Standard
(ISO TC46).

A review of the MODS approach to holdings information is ddocumented at:
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-holdings.html

The new schema is at:
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods//v3/mods-3-3-draft-for-final-review-august-21.xsd
and the main MODS site has additional information about MODS 3.3
including the outline of elements and attributes.

We would like to have a 2 week review period. Please send any comments to
the MODS list by Sept. 5.

The LC MODS team