Colleagues:

   I am pleased to announce that 2007 Issue 3 of Cataloger's Desktop is now available.  This issue includes a new edition of the SACO Participants Manual, as well as updates to the following:

   * Descriptive Cataloging Manual, August 2007
   * Library of Congress Classification Schedules Prefaces
   * Library of Congress Rule Interpretations, 2007 Update 2
   * Music and Sound Recordings Online Manual, Update April 2007
   * Subject Cataloging Manual: Classification
   * Subject Cataloging Manual: Shelflisting

A number of additional web-based resources have been added to Desktop, bringing the total number of resources in Cataloger's Desktop to 229, of which 182 are fully indexed.

   We have been working on resolving a number of problems, mostly small, that have been reported during the recent past.  We hope to address nearly all of them in the next week or two.  The one problem that I expect will take longer to address is the "500 error", which is caused by a flaw in the underlying NXT software.  We are working on the solution, but a piece of the solution is out of our hands.

   We are also working on a number of enhancements, some of which are fairly subtle, some more dramatic.  Here is a condensed list:

   * Providing more descriptive sub-section titles for long instructions sheets in SCM:SH.  If you would like to see what this looks like, have a look at SCM:SH H 1095.  This is not in its final form, but we should complete this project today or tomorrow.
   * Enhanced copying & printing function: We are working on an enhancement that will allow you to select multiple sections from several different resources and copy them into a Cataloger's Desktop clipboard.  When you're done copying the resources, you will have the option of either printing out your clipboard or exporting its contents in Microsoft Word format.  Each section will include its complete citation, as well as a hypertext link back to that section.
   * Enhancements to Preferences: We will be making it possible for you to select sections of Desktop resources (as opposed to the entire resource) as a part of your Preferences.  This will allow you to do more refined searching, and should also unclutter your personal view of the TOC.
   * French & Spanish interfaces: We are currently working on a French and a Spanish language interface for Cataloger's Desktop.  To beef up these interfaces we have added a number of additional French and Spanish resources.  If you are aware of French or Spanish resources that we should consider incorporating into Cataloger's Desktop, please let us know.

   As an early heads up for things further down the road, we are currently working on conceptualizing the next generation of Cataloger's Desktop.  A goal is to take advantage of more leading-edge search and interface technologies while preserving current, time tested functionality, thereby making it easy for subscribers to migrate to the new, enhanced product.  If you have thoughts about what that product should look like, please feel free to send your suggestions to me OFFLIST.  While I have a good handle on what technological solutions are out there, I haven't cataloged in over twenty years and you probably have a clearer picture of what CDS should be doing to address your needs.

   A final note:  I have been hearing a lot about how the cataloging profession is in a state of transition, and several alternative terms are being used to mean "cataloging."  As Cataloger's Desktop expands to include more metadata and other types of resources, we are beginning to wonder whether we should be considering re-naming Desktop as something else.  Not wanting to be a candidate for the now obsolete "Snake in the Grass Award," I would like your comments and suggestions on this subject.  Should we be considering a new title (and if so, what?), or should we leave well enough alone.

   Thank you for your continued support.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Bruce

Bruce Chr. Johnson
Cataloging Distribution Service
Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20540-4911 USA

202-707-1652 (voice)  [log in to unmask]
202-707-3959 (fax)