Hi Again,

The top level dc element is alright as per xml standards, we can call it as the root element of the xml document.

You are right, the sandburg example has followed all DCMI recommendations, except the one below.

| Recommendation 2. Implementors should use XML Namespaces [XMLNS] to
| uniquely identify DC elements, element refinements and encoding
| schemes.

Followed. All elements are in the {http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/}
namespace, which is mapped to the null prefix.

My interpretation is that you should use the [XMLNS] prefix to identify each element.

<?xml version='1.0' ?>
  <dc xmlns="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/";>
  <dc:title>Arithmetic /     </dc:title>

This convention is useful when you would have elements from more than one schema.

but again this is upto the implementation.

regards,
Ganesh

"I haven't lost  my mind ~ it's backed up on disk somewhere!"