Our loader programs (most importantly those that do routine loads of
vendor records for current acquisitions) now make an attempt at
comparing 490:0 fields to authority records.  If the program finds a
reliable match (including comparison of publisher statements) the
program adjusts the series in the bibliographic record as
appropriate; otherwise it sends me an e-mail message.  It takes just
a few minutes a day to scan the e-mail messages and, if warranted, do
something about them.  (Perhaps 50% of the time, I simply add a new
643 field to the local copy of the NACO record to allow series in
future items to be verified automatically.  Non-conflicting new
series I leave for others to deal with as materials are
handled.)  Our cataloger's toolkit uses the same code to attempt
matches between 490:0s and authority records, and to adjust
bibliographic records automatically as needed.

We have seen only a slight increase in the number of series authority
records created in the past year.  An analysis of LC series authority
records from previous years suggested that most of them were for
series that never appeared in materials we acquired here, with the
implication that LC's cessation of series authority record creation
wouldn't create much of a stir once the initial noise died down.  A
few more records here, and a few more new records at other
institutions, and we appear to have filled the gap without putting
undue stress on anyone.

At 06:35 AM 10/29/2007, Amy H Turner wrote:
>In a month or so, the PCC Ad Hoc Series Review Task Force will post
>a discussion paper on the future of PCC series authority
>control.   At this point, we would like to hear from PCC libraries
>about their current practices.  We would also appreciate any
>information on studies that have been done on how series are used
>(by both library staff and by other users), costs of series
>authority control, etc.

Gary L. Strawn, Authorities Librarian, etc.
Northwestern University, 1970 Campus Drive, Evanston IL 60208-2300
e-mail: [log in to unmask]   voice: 847/491-2788   fax: 847/491-8306
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.