Based solely on my entirely unscientific observation of the flow of
materials through here, I wonder if this statement from Gary:
"An analysis of LC series authority records from previous years suggested
that most of them were for series that never appeared in materials we
acquired here, with the implication that LC's cessation of series authority
record creation wouldn't create much of a stir once the initial noise died
down"
has anything to do with the geometrically expanding number of series
statements on juvenile materials, which I assume Northwestern wouldn't be
collecting. Does anyone have any statistics on the number of series
statements attached to juvenile materials as a percentage of the number of
new series appearing? We have a steady stream of such series statements,
many of which pertain to series that only appear for a year or two, and in
my observation are more related to sales promotion than any other kind of
linking. LC's cessation of series authority record creation may, then, be
affecting public libraries and other libraries collecting juvenile materials
more than it is libraries that don't collect a lot of juvenile materials.
Throw in the multitude of similarly-phrased series statements having to do
with common things like animals, flags or states, and it's still a mess in
our sector of the bibliographic world.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.