Hi Amy and everyone,

Here at the University of Florida we continue to put as much energy into controlled series headings as we did before LC made a decision to cease series authority control.   However, the decision required a slight change in workflow for copy cataloging staff (we identify and verify incoming PromptCat records that contain series coded 490 first indicator 0 and convert them to 440s.  This process is semi-automated in that a macro is run to identify the records with 490s).

Like DUKE, shortly after learning about LC’s decision we met with public services staff.   The science librarians, in particular, informed us that they rely heavily on numbered series as important access points.  They also pointed out that other citations for science titles refer to the series title and series vol. number rather than to the individual vol. title, leading many users to search them as though they were serials.

Although we haven’t yet done any studies to assess the impact of LC’s decision locally, we have made the decision to continue to support public services staff and the rest of our patrons (and the PCC) through controlled series access.

Priscilla

Priscilla Williams

Head, Authorities and Metadata Quality Unit

NACO & BIBCO Coordinator

University of Florida

300 Smathers Library

P. O. Box 117007