Hi Priscilla,

We use rendition rather than representation as the term in our own work
at Portico.   I don't think that the GPO's use of rendition is
problematic:  a PDF rendition is a single format single object while an
HTML rendition is a compound object made up of one or more files.   In
our internal content model, the logical object (a journal article)
includes a basket of components (XML, PDF, GIF, TIFF, JPEG, MPEG, etc.
etc.) which can make up multiple renditions (print, web HTML, web PDF).
We classify all the pieces in this basket by function:  PDF are page
renditions, HTML are web renditions, and most of the rest are components
referenced by the renditions.  We are just now encountering for the
first time PDF files with links to external objects such spreadsheets;
it looks like the PDF is getting to be more like the HTML in terms of
compoundness.  Our basic assumption for e-journals is that there are
multiple renditions of a given intellectual object; that isn't true for
all kinds of content of course.  But I still like rendition as a term.

I recently found a diagram from November 2003 that I did for one of the
early PreMIS discussions trying to sort out migration relationships
(horizontal) and compound rendition relationships (vertical).  We didn't
end up implementing this exactly this way at Portico, but the picture is
interesting.  I've included it below.

---- Evan

Figure 1