It is worth pointing that the <controlaccess> elements, <subject>,
<corpname> and so on have @authfilenumber. Thus the <subject> below
might look like the following:

<subject encodinganalog="650" source="lcsh"
authfilenumber="4668731">Botany, Agricultural.</subject>

At 11:12 AM 11/28/2007, you wrote:
>I echo Joseph's recommendations.  Use of a native XML database, or
>at least something that can process XQuery (and XUpdate), is
>helpful, especially if the SMU catalog has the ability to expose
>authority records as XML.  The Perl recommendation is a good one
>too, with Tie::File and maybe even MARC::Record to allow you to work
>with formatting your subject strings to be injected into the EAD.
>
>Say you have a heading of "Botany, Agricultural", which gets updated
>to "Botany, Economic" within the subject authority.   The subject
>authority has a hypothetical 001 identifier value in the catalog of
>'4668731'.  And let's suppose you run an update to check for
>outdated values for your EADs.
>
>Your initial EAD instance could look like this:
>
><controlaccess>
>             <head>Dynamic subject headings</head>
>             <subject encodinganalog="650" source="lcsh">Botany, Agricultural.
>                 <extptr
> xlink:href="http://library.smu.edu/authorities/4668731"/>
>             </subject>
></controlaccess>
>
>The value of the xlink:href attribute in the EAD extptr element
>could serve as the "hook" for your programs to know which record
>contains the updated heading.  After running a XQuery that gets the
>XML serialization of authority record 4668731 (and/or Perl if your
>records aren't XML capable), you can update the text node of the
>subject element by grabbing the 150 field's text value, formatting
>it to your pre-coordination needs (if any), and outputting it into
>your EAD's existing controlaccess/subject structure.
>
>The result would look like this:
>
><controlaccess>
>             <head>Dynamic subject headings</head>
>             <subject encodinganalog="650" source="lcsh">Botany, Economic.
>                 <extptr
> xlink:href="http://library.smu.edu/authorities/4668731"/>
>             </subject>
></controlaccess>
>
>If your authority records can be serialized as XML, you could
>alternatively use the "xpointer" attribute on extptr, although few
>tools properly support XPointer these days.  The same effect can be
>achieved with XQuery.
>
>Hope this helps,
>Clay
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Clay Redding
>Digital Project Coordinator
>Network Development & MARC Standards Office
>Library of Congress
>LA308, Mail Stop 4402
>101 Independence Ave. SE
>Washington, DC 20540
>202-707-7196
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>If it's a once off, you might try a simple Perl script with regular
>expressions; the tie::file module is quite useful there. You might also
>try an XML database, such as eXist for a medium-term solution.
>
>Joseph Greene
>Irish Virtual Research Library and Archive Project (HII),
>James Joyce Library,
> [...]

Daniel V. Pitti, Associate Director
Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
319 Alderman Library
P.O. Box 400115
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4115