With very few exceptions any EAD 2002 instance which validates against the
W3C and RelaxNG versions should validate against the DTD. The only
differences in encoding are discussed here:

http://www.loc.gov/ead/eadschema.html

In brief these are:

* the use of the xlink namespace instead of the DTD linking attributes

* entities are not resolved in the W3C XML Schema version

* because of datatype constraints, the values of attributes using ISO
codes or standards are strictly enforced in the W3C and RelaxNG versions.
The DTD is more permissive, allowing technically incorrect values.

The W3C and RelaxNG versions of the schema mainly provide alternatives for
validation and processing which may be significant for certain uses. For
example, the W3C XML Schema version of EAD allows one to include an EAD
inside a METS file via namespaces.

/Terry

On Thu, 1 Nov
2007, John Bewley wrote:

> Echoing Russell's request - would it be possible to put an example of the
> same finding aid encoded with the DTD side by side with the same finding aid
> encoded with the schema somewhere on the EAD help pages?
>
> --On Wednesday, October 31, 2007 6:28 PM -0500 "Russell D. James"
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> I am just now teaching myself the new EAD schema and how to use it.  I
>> wondered if anyone could provide me with an EAD finding aid using the
>> schema instead of the DTD, or point me to a website where I can download
>> a finding aid that uses the schema?  I tend to learn better with examples
>> to have alongside the work I am doing.
>>

>> Thanks.
>>

>> Russell D. James, CA

> John Bewley
> Music Library
> University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
> 716 645-2924

Terry Catapano
Special Collections Analyst/Librarian
Columbia University Libraries Digital Program
212-854-9942