Hi Mark.

    I need to warn you that most digital library delivery software
creates dynamic web pages.  Most search engines will not index these.  I
will have a short article out in Code4Lib in March about the
supplemental work we did to enable our EADs to be full-text searchable.
The preliminary report is here, if you're curious.
(http://aztec.lib.utk.edu/~deridder/writings/GooglizingDL.doc )

    Secondly, most digital library software delivers different types of
materials differently; the way you want to present a TEI-encoded
document versus a simple image versus an EAD, differs.  So commonly,
types of materials are split into separate collections, though some
software enables you to search across those collections for fields that
are in common (subject, title, creator).  It's difficult to find
anything that provides full text searching across formats, out of the
box... especially cheaply.  The more complex the system, the more you
can expect to pay for it.  (Ex Libris Digitool comes to mind.  And no,
the last time I checked, it was not interoperable yet with the OPAC.)

  If you have skilled developers, you can customize open source software
such as DLXS or XTF to do most of what you are asking.  Our current
solution is to put the digitized objects into the software that best
displays them, create links in the EADs to the child files, and in the
child files to the EADs --- and also offer full text searching of all
items via another interface, that links out to the displays.  This is
built in DLXS. http://dlc.lib.utk.edu/f/fa/  In addition, we are
extracting MARC from the EADs to upload those, with links to the EADs,
into our OPAC system.  And we have extracted MODS from the EADs for OAI
records, which also link back.

  So to answer your last questions - generally you are going to need
second "cataloging" of the child items, if you want them searchable.  If
you don't - then just throw them in a web directory, create links to
them, and put those in the EAD with the metadata you are capable of
entering in the altformavail tag.  Then all you have to put in a
delivery software - or static html pages, if you want Google to index
them - are the EADs.  If you go with static web pages, you'll need a
search engine that works over an existing website.

Hope this helps!

Jody DeRidder
Digital Library Center
University of Tennessee Libraries