Whenever anyone here doesn't teach LCC they get complaints from students, who feel as if they are leaving school missing something.  So we just do a breeze through the last week of class.  We teach our beginning cataloging class as a catalog appreciation class, really, or that is how I see it, so I am not so worried that they don't get the full flavor of it.

We work with H, which that is the schedule we have lots of copies of.  We just say that H has many of the features of the other schedules.  When I teach it I sometimes introduce the P schedule or talk about the G schedule to demonstrate the multiple ways in which LCC can organize, and the multiple meanings that the class/Cutter numbers can have.

And, to tell you the truth, I don't think WebDewey is manageable at ALL, so I cringe when I get there (although I love teaching it in the abstract).  But maybe you have found a good way to teach it?

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Suzanne Stauffer
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 5:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [eduCAT] LCC

A question I've been meaning to post for ages -- how do people teach LCC in their introductory course? Or do you? DDC is at least manageable, but LCC! We could spend the entire semester just working on that. I hate to not at least expose the students to it, but since most of the students are not going to be full-time catalogers and most will be working in school or public libraries, at times I wonder if the time wouldn't be better spent going into greater depth on authority control, DDC, or LCSH.

Your thoughts, experiences, suggestions?
Suzanne M. Stauffer, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Louisiana State University
275 Coates Hall