There are so many dates that are of importance for particular communities
that we provided dateOther for those cases where MODS didn't supply a
specific one (as you noted). We tried to limit defined date types to the
most used sorts of dates. Of course you can use the type attribute with
dateOther and we could consider providing a list of types used, as we do
with note types (http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods-notes.html), if
this would be useful. Maybe other MODS users can speak to your question
about defining a specific date type for this one.

Rebecca