On Friday, November 30, 2007 10:57 AM, Mark Scharff wrote:
>Pardon me if this has gone by before.  Is there a consensus about how to
cite information from a book being viewed through Google Books?  Is there
any reason to specify that mode of use, as opposed to giving the citation as
though the book was in hand?  I can't think of one, but opinions welcome.<

I don't know if it is correct, but for a recent heading, I used:

670 Google book search, Oct. 2, 2007$bEncyclopedia of evangelicalism, p. 648
(Spencer, Ivan Q(uay), 1888-1970)

Perhaps I should have capitalized the 2nd word and made it Books instead. I
hesitated to use
670 Encyclopedia of evangelicalism, [date]:$bp. 648 (Spencer, Ivan Q(uay),
1888-1970)
because I didn't have the physical item in hand and was thus relying on
Google Books having the correct title and page number to cite.

I hope this helps,

Bryan Baldus
Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.