Regarding establishing new headings that do not conflict: The optional
provisions given in AA2 rules and the corresponding LCRI instructions
for new headings which encourage the use of the $d and the $q.  We
follow these options. I do not understand your objection to the $q. The
presence of qualified initials may prevent duplicate headings being
created for the same person.
.
LCRI 22.17 Dates. For new headings that do not conflict, apply the
option decision to add the date(s) whenever it is known.
LCRI 22.18 A Fuller forms. Apply the optional provision.  This means
adding  within parentheses the full form of and abbreviation used in the
heading when the full form is known with certainty.

--
Gerry Park, Cataloger
Cataloging Department