I've just been citing the book itself. I check the actual title page and verso for title and date rather than relying on Google's title. It seems equivalent to having the book in hand to me.

Billie Aul
Senior Librarian
Technical Services and Systems
New York State Library
Cultural Education Center
Albany, NY  12230
(518) 474-8610

On Friday, November 30, 2007 10:57 AM, Mark Scharff wrote:
>Pardon me if this has gone by before.  Is there a consensus about how to
cite information from a book being viewed through Google Books?  Is there
any reason to specify that mode of use, as opposed to giving the citation as
though the book was in hand?  I can't think of one, but opinions welcome.<

I don't know if it is correct, but for a recent heading, I used:

670 Google book search, Oct. 2, 2007$bEncyclopedia of evangelicalism, p. 648
(Spencer, Ivan Q(uay), 1888-1970)

Perhaps I should have capitalized the 2nd word and made it Books instead. I
hesitated to use
670 Encyclopedia of evangelicalism, [date]:$bp. 648 (Spencer, Ivan Q(uay),
1888-1970)
because I didn't have the physical item in hand and was thus relying on
Google Books having the correct title and page number to cite.

I hope this helps,

Bryan Baldus
Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.